I have been sitting on the couch, watching tongues of fire in the fireplace, enjoying the moment and thinking about things I am thankful for when I realized that today is the day when people in the United States celebrate the Thanksgiving. Therefore I think I hit the jackpot with my thoughts.
Do you feel it sometimes? That the time stops and you can simply appreciate what is around you? Do you appreciate what you have?
I would like to join them in celebration the tradition of this beautiful day therefore I think about everything that I am grateful for. 13 simple reasons to be thankful, just like that.
1. I am thankful for the people- winemakers, teachers and wine-friends, who appear on my way and help me to discover the secrets of wine.
2. I am thankful for the wine – whites, reds, sweet and dry wines, fortified and wines with bubbles, and even for roses. Each of them is unique on its own way and each has something to offer that others don’t have.
3. I am thankful for the ability to appreciate the age. It does not matter whether the vintage indicate ‘young’ or ‘old’ – what matters is the story that the wine wants to tell and the secrets the wine wants you to discover.
4. I am thankful for the ‘hidden agenda’, because there’s always more to it than meets the eye – nothing is as simple as it seems at the beginning and the world begins to spin in a different direction than we expect.
5. I am thankful for all the bottles – the empty ones because they conceal the memories and for the full ones, because they conceal the dreams.
6. I am thankful for the barrels in which the wine rests and matures. At the beginning the wine is like a young man who thinks that he can do whatever he wants, then it becomes like an adult that needs a little more of polishing and finally it turns into an old man – an almost perfect, balanced, complex form definitely worthwhile the attention.
7. I am thankful for the food, because the good wine-food pairing turns the casual dinner into a feast of the senses.
8. I am thankful for the whims of Mother Nature, because they indicate an individual taste of wine from different vintages and let me watch the rainbow grape berries changing their colors during the veraison.
9. I am thankful for my home because it does not only make me feel safe and like I am in the right place but also it has many hideouts perfectly suited for another wine cellar.
10. I am thankful for the view of the vineyards from my window, because every morning it triggers delight and makes me smile.
11. I am thankful for both my cats and the warmth of fireplace, because they warm me up as much as does a glass of red wine.
12. I am thankful for all of my beloved ones, family and friends, who fill my life to the brim (not just with wine :p)
13. I am thankful for my life, my dreams, my desires, my goals and all that is “impossible” – because once I reach them, they give me an extra opportunity to raise the glass with a wine for “special occasions”.
And what about you? What are you thankful for? ;)